Sunday, October 3, 2010

DVD Review - The Art of the Dynamic Handgun

I think I promised a while back that this review would be forthcoming. Well, here it is....finally. Guys, this four DVD set is some of the best stuff I've ever seen for gun training. I considered myself to be an "experienced" handgun shooter until I watched this DVD set. There were *so* many things I learned from Chris Costa and Travis Haley, the two instructors. Make no mistake, this video is extremely well done, with professional shots for instruction and application.

Let me start off my listing the contents (something difficult to find online in my experience!), then I'll go over some of the things I found to be most applicable.

Disc One: The Dynamic Handgun
Grip
Seven Fundamentals of Shooting
The Draw
Tactical & Speed Reloads
Balance of Speed and Accuracy
Malfunctions
Accuracy
Kneeling & Supine Positions
Prone & Urban Prone

Disc Two: The Dynamic Handgun Part II
Off Line of Attack
Shooting on the Move
Reflexive Firing
Combat Mindset
Reality Check
Scenarios: LEO, Military, Civilian, Student & Concealment
Special Features

Disc Three: Concealed Carry
Concealed Carry Lifestyle
Positions
Drawing from Concealment
Off Line of Attack
Single Hand Operation
Special Features

Disc Four: Drills and Special Features
Handgun Accessories (Belts, Holsters, Lights and Lasers)
Suppressors
Ammo
48 Quick Reference Drills
Outtakes

I can't possibly go over everything I learned or thought was good, but suffice it to say, I do not regret paying approximately $50 for this DVD set. I discovered after many years of shooting that I was not gripping the gun in the best possible way that I could. As a result, my patterns have gotten better, followup shots are faster, and I have more control over the muzzle of the gun in general. Further, they pointed out that for reloads, malfunction clearing, etc., the gun should be in your "workspace" (up at chest/face level instead of down at the waist) to ensure you are keeping an eye on your target area. When I saw that, it was one of those "duh" moments; it made sense, but I had never actually thought through it (all my work to that point had been done at waist level with my head down....dumb). There were so many moments like this during the series, I couldn't possibly list them all.

I promise you, if you apply what you see on these DVDs, you *will* end up a better/more knowledgeable shooter because of it. The people being recorded on the DVDs are cops/military/shooting industry people/regular civilians. If they can learn something from the course, of course most of us average Joe's will as well.

You really have to watch these DVDs several times to get even 50% of what they're teaching you. But, there's good news: on disc four, all of the drills that you can practice are demonstrated in full speed, 50%, and 30%. You can jump or select chapters to go over the drills on which you need to work. This is VERY helpful to master the various aspects of using your handgun.

Overall, I recommend this DVD set to beginners, amateurs, and experienced shooters alike. EVERYONE that wants to become proficient with a handgun should buy this course! Chris and Travis are never arrogant, but they are extremely experienced. They know what they're talking about, and they are very likable to boot. You will want to learn from them. That's the magic of the series, and has kept me coming back over and over again. Don't make a bad decision: buy this DVD set NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment