Friday, February 19, 2010

Product review - Aim Sports Carbine-length Quad Rail (2 piece)


I recently purchased this inexpensive quad rail system at a gun show so that I would have something on which to mount a vertical foregrip and flashlight.  I do not have a need for a quad rail system that would be worthy of an optic mount since I have a flat top (A3) style AR.  If I want to mount a scope or sight, I will mount it on the flat top portion of the picatinny rail.  Therefore, this rail system met my needs perfectly as it is inexpensive and sturdy.
The machining on the quad rail is not perfect, but I did not notice any glaring flaws or anything that would impact performance.  The other significant difference between this rail and a higher quality rail is the weight.  This rail has a bit of heft to it, but nothing terrible.  I compared my AR with rail, foregrip, and flashlight mounted to the same AR with standard handguard, and the weight difference was barely noticeable.  However, higher quality quad rails will be even lighter.

It was very easy to install.  The two pieces just fit in where the standard rail goes, using the delta ring.  Then the four screws are installed for a very solid fit.  After installation, there was no give or twist, exactly what you want in a handguard.
It is not free float (which is preferred), but then again, you get what you pay for.  Someday I will likely upgrade to a lighter free float quad rail, but for now, this makes the perfect starter quad rail (a decent free float rail will cost approximately $100).  This rail can be purchased from Amazon.com for approximately $45, so very reasonable.  It comes with the quad rail, screws and hex key, and rubber rail covers.  I think at this price point, it’s a great value, so this gets Straight’s thumbs up recommendation for a starter rail.
- Straight

1 comment: