Friday, February 12, 2010

Product Review - ARS Dog Tag Knife

The following is my first guest review.  My friend Slarti (the one building the AR) knows far more about knives than me, so from time to time you may see a knife review slip in courtesy of him.  Here is his review of the Attack Rescue Survive Dog Tag Survival Knife.

From Slarti:

I purchased mine on Ebay from Cowboy Knife Sales out of Florida for $26.00 (free shipping- Kudos to Cowboy Knife Sales for quick shipping—I had it within three days after order.). Suggested MSRP on the site is $36.95 for the kit which includes the 440C stainless knife [the 'dog tag'] (titanium version also available, but sold separately), a ball chain, a rubber rim ring, a ferrocerium rod for fire starting, and a button compass.


My initial impression was favorable. The 440 stainless tag/blade is of a sufficient heaviness and thickness to be taken seriously as a blade. It has a chisel ground edge (single) which is sharp enough out of the package for most practical applications. It easily did a trace cut on the edge of a piece of paper, and had no difficulty with the few items tested (nylon rope, twine, and even a piece of 12 gauge wire I had laying nearby). Being 440 steel it should not be difficult to re-sharpen if dulled. The dog tag is also highly reflective and could be used as signaling device. Of course, it is fully engravable with the owner's information, and can also be lashed onto a stick using the holes to provide a functional "grip" in a survival situation.

The included ferrocerium rod worked great. It is the equivalent of what one finds on the edge of the magnesium fire starters. The button compass (made in China) was TREMENDOUSLY responsive, and I was impressed with its movement. I tested it against my Silva and it was dead on. It’s also cute as heck.

There was only one drawback. It was my impression when reading about the survival “set” that the dog tag knife, firestarting rod and button compass would all somehow be integrated into a small package to wear around one’s neck. This is not the case. The tag wears comfortably, but the rod and compass (if you carry them) have to be carried separately. They both conveniently fit into my wallet.

As a novelty, this is a hoot. As a survival tool, I would rather be with it than without it; however, I would not rely entirely on it if I were striking out into the Canadian wilderness on a hunting trip. As a defensive tool, I suppose if one yanked hard enough on the chain and were able to get the chain out and the blade free from the rubber grommet that it would also be better than having nothing.

Overall, I am pleased with the $26.00 I spent and would recommend this product at this price point.
 
Thanks for the review, Slarti!
 
- Straight

1 comment: